Monday, June 14, 2010

Madchester - The Sound of the North

Here's a documentary from the early 90s on Granada Television about the (at the time) burgeoning house / new wave scene in Manchester, in particular. I've found myself really wanting to listen to the Happy Mondays recently. I got introduced to this whole thing through the movie 24 Hour Party People and my interest in Joy Division and the innovative production work of Martin Hannett (the man behind most Joy Division records). It really is kinda fascinating stuff - how the shift happened from traditional rock and roll and punk to more synthesized music, and became more dancey in a different way. I think it's a change we often overlook today, as the 2 elements work hand in hand in many bands. Of course, along with that shift, came the influx of more party drugs, and lots of excess, and horrible fashion - eventually leading to the awful result of raver kids.

ENJOY:














No comments: