Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti: Finally Getting the Respect They Deserve



OK, so Pitchfork has decided to give old Ariel some respect, finally (guess it's cool now since he "invented" the "chill wave" movement or whatever the hell - I fucking hate it when hipsters tear shit down and then try and reclaim it as FINALLY being cohesive). The latest release Before Today came out this week on 4AD, blah blah. Ariel now has a dedicated TIGHT band, and a less lo fi record (mastered at Abbey Road?!) I'm a believer - I have been for a damn while now, having listened religiously to pretty much anything I could find on the sprawling, imperfect web world. I've tried to ape his recording style to no avail, (that perfect middle ground between something disintegrating all together, but still managing to shine through the dusty magnetic tape); so I'm just gonna go ahead and make the statement that the man is a genius - a diamond in the rough. Before Today is his best record by far - he's only expanded on the groundwork he's left in his path. If you don't believe me, just check it out for yourself. Whereas many of his early efforts required patience and sense of humor, this new record just clicks man, and it makes you laugh. It's just enjoyable. God Damn it. Doesn't get better than this folks - there's so much packed into this collection of songs you just won't believe your ears. Check out this marvelous session from 4AD:



and for the whole thing:

http://www.4ad.com/sessions/

If you're still hatin' I can't do much for ya. Guess you're just a dumbshit w/ bad taste. As one blogger said: "Michael Jackson got nothin' on Ariel Pink" They may just be right.

July 29 @ local 506 BABY! I'll be in the front row!

No comments: