Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Mellow Gold

Beck Hansen is one of my all time favorite artists...and Mellow Gold is one of my all time favorite records. I remember going to buy used CDs with my dad on Sundays, and coming across a used copy that I later found out was a K-Mart edited version (F**kin With My Head). My dad liked the song Beercan...That record was one of the main things that made me want to start a band. It was so fucked up and so great, with its lo-fi, humorous, catchy magic....and yet somehow still had commercial appeal. I always felt like he was fucking with people, and that I was somehow in on it too.

Tirelessly unique, hilarious, inventive and talented, Mr. Hansen is one of the few survivors of the Alternative 90s (along with Radiohead...and...am I missing anyone?) still making decent, vital music. Say what you want about his religious views, when he was making records like Mellow Gold and One Foot In The Grave, he had it goin' on. I wore that K-Mart CD out man, and I STILL have it!







No comments: