Friday, December 6, 2013

Jason Loewenstein: Web Freebies Volume 1



Rocker, Recording Engineer Jason Loewenstein is one of my musical/life idols. He writes awesome, twisted, weird pop songs and plays in bands such as Sebadoh, Fiery Furnaces, and Circle of Buzzards, but my favorite thing he's done was his first solo record At Sixes and Sevens, which came out on Sub Pop, way back in 2002! It's one of my all time favorite modern indie rock albums. If you find a copy, you should buy it.

He's a pot-bellied pig owner (as you can see above), and occasionally writes songs about it (Emmit Pig). He also apparently now makes slingshots? I saw him perform an intense solo set (with drummer and bassist) at a tiny record store in Greensboro, NC when I was in college. He was/is primarily a bassist, but has remarkable creative ability with a 6 string guitar as well. In fact, I'm pretty sure he plays all of the instruments on his solo stuff. In addition to all of this, he's a really great recording engineer, I always love the way his home-recorded stuff sounds. Also, the new Sebadoh record, Defend Yourself is really great, and his songs in particular stand out to me. But I'm rambling.

Enjoy this weird, awesome collection of surprisingly hi-fi home-recorded freebies, demos, outtakes and live cuts. Some of it is just him fucking around (Winged Eel), but there's some real gems here (But Yr. Gone - nice slow burner, Contribution - the riff is classic Loewenstein, etc.)

Check out more from Jake here: jakerock.com.





DOWNLOAD

No comments: