Monday, December 2, 2013

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, live New Year's Eve '78



The older I get, the more I value the craft of good songwriting. I thoroughly appreciate a band's ability to boil a song down to the hook ("Don't bore us, get to the chorus"). I'm a sucker for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers; I grew up on their hits, which were always playing on the radio during long summer car rides down to the coast, so I associate their songs with that certain period in my life. As a guitar player, hearing Mike Campbell's infectious, beautifully played guitar lines now just astounds me. When I was a kid I don't think I even realized there was a separate guitar player per se, but just felt that certain feeling. He's all about TONE man ... and playing TASTEFULLY, serving the song. Found this great live concert on Youtube in full, and thought I'd share. I never get sick of the Heartbreakers.

No comments: