Monday, May 5, 2014

Wesley Wolfe - Numbskull



I want to start this out by saying that a person like Wesley Wolfe is someone I'd like to become some day. He does what he loves, maybe not for a "living", but that's not what really matters to him in the long run. Just for some quick background: Wes writes, records, and cuts his own records on his own record label (Tangible Formats). When I say "cuts" his own records, I am being literal; he owns his own vinyl lathe and he physically cuts each record, by hand. Take THAT Black Flag!

Here's him in an interview with POPMATTERS:

I don’t think the point is to profit from it in the first place, although compensation as a gesture of appreciation would be nice. Haha! My goal has evolved through the years to get as close to breaking even as possible. So, I’ve figured out how to make a record for next to nothing. This is just what makes me happy, so why would I do anything else?

I would kill for that level of perspective and wisdom about the process of making music. Making art can be frustrating, especially when you put all your stock in what other people think about it, and measure success as acceptance in a confused, oversaturated music climate. As Wes brilliantly puts it in the title track:

"I dreamt of success but it only breeds assholes ... to be selfish and petty was not worth the hassle"

This clearly expresses that push and pull of trying to "make it" as a musician, putting all your eggs in one basket, and being way too "in your head" about shit. But he follows that sentiment with an amazingly succinct outro:

"My ideals took a back seat, while my ego was out drunk driving. I messed up a good thing, while my numbskull has lost all feelings."

Lyrical virtuosity aside, you could just as easily enjoy this album for its sparkling pop hooks. You can call it 90's all you want, but truthfully there are just 10 absolutely knock out SONGS here. If good songs died in the 1990s, then I guess Wesley Wolfe/this album may have single-handedly brought songs back folks! ;)

Everyone that hears this album loves it, and so here you go. You're welcome.








Keep up with Wesley Wolfe (if you can):

http://www.wesleywolfe.com/


No comments: